Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Kahoot! - educational and fun - especially for reviewing

Today we were delayed for 3 hours so there were several students who were absent. Also, we did not meet with all of our classes and I like to keep my classes together (for my sanity!) so I did not want to move forward with the next lesson. I was thinking about pulling some standardized-test style questions and reviewing. I was just going to project them on the board and have them work on them using the ipads (educreations app) or the small whiteboards. BUT then I remembered how much fun my students from last year had playing Kahoot! for reviewing.
Coach Whitt explaining a problem from a Kahoot!



Fortunately I ran across a wonderful Kahoot when I did a "public search" for graphing equations. It had 16 questions that reviewed finding slope, graphing, finding intercepts, and evaluating functions. I was able to use it with my Algebra IB for review and in my Algebra IA to reinforce concepts we are currently working on.


These 2 guys were working together:)

I realized last year that when we worked through Kahoots which makes the review feel like a game the students invested in trying to learn how to get the correct answer so they can get the points for the next question. After each question the game shows who the leader is and you also have the opportunity to stop and go over the question. Today I gave the winning player 2 pieces of candy and all the other players on the "leader board" 1 piece of candy. It was a fun and productive day.

If you have never used Kahoot! it is great for all subjects and grade levels. You can create your own reviews or you can do a public search for ones that have already been created. There are sometimes mistakes in the public reviews but I just use them and then address any mistakes as they come. My husband showed me last year where the writers of the Kahoot! website even recommend you have students to create their own reviews for the class to play. That is also a great way to see if your students have a clear understanding of the material. Last year I had the students to use their own smartphones. There is a code that they use to log into the game - they do not have to have an account to play. I let students share if they needed to. Today I had 9 ipads for the students who didn't have smartphones so it went great!

No comments:

Post a Comment