Monday, March 2, 2015

IMP All About Alice Day 1 - Alice in Wonderland

We have had multiple delays and missed school days in the past few weeks. Therefore I have decided to skip the last portion of the Cookies unit and start Alice. I'm going to try to make up for it by using systems of equations problems as my warm-ups for the next several days.

Today we read the intro and then watched a film clip from the movie. Thank you to Lori White for providing the film clip this past Summer at AMSTI training.  After giving the students about 10 minutes to work on the 4 questions in the Alice in Wonderland activity I had them to write their answers on 2' by 2' marker boards. It has been a while since we have used them.  I like placing all of their boards at the front of the class and comparing/critiquing the answers with the class.  I rolled my 8-sided dice and called on a group to explain the answer to each question. After the explanation we compared the answers on all the other boards. It was interesting to see the different ways the students worded their answers. For the first part of #1 some students said Alice height doubled twice, some said multiplied by 4, and some said quadrupled. A common mistake made for the 2nd part of #1 was students thought they should multiply by 10 for 5 ounces. Some students did say that Alice's height was doubled 5 times. I did have one student to say her height was multiplied by 32 when she ate 5 ounces. He is such a good math thinker. It was sad to me that none of the groups created a table to answer the questions. I showed them how we could use a table to help us to recognize the patterns which helped us to write the rules.



No comments:

Post a Comment